Friday, September 01, 2006

The son is successfully started at his new school. The first day went well, and his teacher called last night to give us a report--all glowing, of course. See, I have one of *those* kids. It took me by suprise when I first noticed that I had one of *those* kids.

My son can charm the pants off of anyone around. I thought he was gorgeous and darling when he was born, of course. But then his personality took over (even though he refused to sleep for the first two years of his life and was sick every other week) and I cannot take him anywhere without someone gushing over him. And I'm used to gushing. My daughter receives frequent comments on her looks, her manners and so on while we're out in public. My youngest son is so cute it's silly. But it's ridiculous with my older son. I can't go to the gynecologist without him without getting a smackdown for not bringing him with so they can chat with him. I can't go to the dentist without the same thing happening. The pediatrician's office? Ridiculous. "Look, he said 'I feel nauseous'. Isn't that cayoot?!?" My aunt calls frequently just to talk to him. All of his teachers have loved him. All of the parents in the classes love him. He's just one of those kids. I hope he uses this power for good and not evil. I hope he avoids places like Las Vegas and Hollywood.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm sure your eyes are glazing over at my unabashed gloating.

So, the new school--my poor husband is having an inferiority complex due to his vehicle. See, it's mostly Lexus, BMW, Mercedes there. And here comes my husband in the '93 Subaru station wagon. We're waiting until it dies before going for a hybrid for him to drive to work...but anyway, this is going to be a good way to learn what our values are in regards to money and possessions.

Do I wish I have the money for manicures and fabulous shoes and a better haircut? Absolutely. But, I thank my lucky stars that we were able to afford to send him to this school. And hopefully, one day, with the education he's received at this school and his special skills at charming people, our son can pick us up in his expensive vehicle as thanks.

No comments: