Monday, September 04, 2006

Today was like spring. Thunderstorms and tornado warnings in SEPTEMBER? Over 6 inches of rain and cars are flooded up to their windshields in parts of the city. Basement walls are collapsing. Power is out in a lot of areas. We made it home from a party just in time to avoid swimming home and have power. We are so lucky.

This weekend has been one long growing pain. In many different ways, there have been pains.

The barely teenaged daughter (13) has been the opposite of fun to talk to, extract information from, and shop with. Her feet are to put it mildly--huge. All the friends are wearing cute slip on Vans but her feet are too wide for these shoes. We finally found a pair of Rocket Dog shoes that would fit but of course they weren't "in" or "cool" or "whatever" enough. Poor thing was in tears over the size of her feet.

Then, she lied to me about using my makeup. So, we have THAT. If she would have been honest and not such a snot when confronted with her lie, it would have gone so much better for her.

Growing pains--they hurt. I am dealing with the fact that I am not cool, and I apparently have no fashion sense. Also, feeling like the only thing she wants from me is stuff and money and rides to places bites.

The 6 yo son has expressed interest in being like everyone else. We've been using the Laptop Lunchbox to avoid throwing plastic bags away all of the time and last year, he loved it. This year? He wants a lunchbox like all of the other kids. NOT THAT PHRASE AGAIN! I'm trying to kick up the menu for his lunches to see if that will help at all. Tomorrow is this kick-ass chocolate pudding from my boyfriend Alton Brown on the Food Network.

On a more fun note, I also found myself a cute pair of shoes since my Bjorns finally kicked the bucket. I brought these home and wore them out today and they are perfect. Comfy and cute.


No comments: