Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween is hard on the parents.

True that, you think? I have three children. My eldest wanted to be a fairy. I managed to find some pretty wings and found some beautiful purple tulle to match and promised to make a tutu. (It's hard to find tutus for 13 yo's without paying an arm and a leg). Ay yi yi. She ended up re-sewing her tutu last night!! Poor thing.

The middle child is six and wanted to be a pirate. His entire costume came from things we had around the house. We had a leftover eye patch, hat and earring from a few years ago when the eldest was a piratess. I went to his school costume parade today and he was the ONLY one with a homemade costume. Can you believe it, folks?

The youngest has two costume choices: a hand-sewn dinosaur costume (I did not make it, it was a garage sale find.) or a giraffe. NEITHER one will he put on.

So, tell me--why do we celebrate this weird holiday which is nothing but a money and time suck? Every year, I TRY to be a good mom and get into it, but all that happens is I'm reminded of why it's such a ridiculous celebration.

No comments: